Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wednesday's Wisdom - Wisdom That is Always Relevant

It never ceases to amaze me how a book so maligned and written off by skeptics as being irrelevant so clearly and accurately speaks of man's condition at the most fundamental level. As I read this week's focus passage, I couldn't help but chuckle to myself. God really does know us. Are these words not as true today as they have ever been?

Wisdom cries aloud in the street, in the markets she raises her voice; at the head of the noisy streets she cries out; at the entrance of the city gates she speaks: "How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple? How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing and fools hate knowledge? If you turn at my reproof, behold, I will pour out my spirit to you; I will make my words known to you. Because I have called and you refused to listen, have stretched out my hand and no one has heeded, because you have ignored all my counsel and would have none of my reproof, I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when terror strikes you, when terror strikes you like a storm and your calamity comes like a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you. Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently but will not find me. Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the LORD, would have none of my counsel and despised all my reproof, therefore they shall eat the fruit of their way, and have their fill of their own devices. For the simple are killed by their turning away, and the complacency of fools destroys them; but whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster." (Proverbs 1:20-33 ESV)
Wisdom is calling. Will you hear her call? Will you turn to the One who gives wisdom generously without reproach (James 1:5)? Pay special attention to verses 32 and 33. Naivety and complacency kill and destroy, but attentiveness to God's wisdom brings security and peace. Not health, wealth and your best life now, but security and peace.

I'm also continually amazed at the number of professing Christians who are complacent and naive. One need not look any farther than the thousands of people who flock to and sit under false teachers such as Joel O'Steen, Joyce Meyer, T.D. Jakes and Benny Hinn (and pretty much everyone else on "Christian TV") to see that their is a lack of wisdom among professed follower's of Jesus Christ. I dare not speculate on the salvation of those who follow these charlatans, but I do question whether or not they are actively seeking the wisdom found in God's Word.  We have complete access to the very mind and heart of God through the Bible, and God has promised to give wisdom to those who ask and believe. If you find yourself drawn to the likes of those I named, among others, I encourage you to turn off the TV or radio and put down all the NY Times bestsellers these prosperity preachers are putting out and seek wisdom from God Himself through the Scriptures. Wisdom is crying aloud in the street. Hear and turn to her. Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.