Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Poetry for the Glory of God

I've enjoyed poetry ever since I was in high school. I think it was Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken" that really got me hooked. So I started writing poetry for fun. Most of the poetry I wrote was autobiographical in nature. After I was saved, I stumbled upon John Piper's Advent poems. They completely rocked my world! From then on I've set out to write poetry that is theologically sound and that I hope will bring glory to God.

I've always loved the Shakespearean sonnet. Something about the rhythm and meter just fits with me. So for today's post, I would like to share with you a sonnet I wrote.

To An Honest Atheist - A Sonnet Inspired by Psalm 19 and Psalm 14

Consider earth outstretched with grandeur scene
whence plant springs up beneath the suns warm ray.
While dark beholds the sparkling bright moon beam,
within the peaceful pond wee tadpoles play.

From mountain lakes wandering streams do ease
and join together singing frothy song.
Form raging rivers, pour out into seas.
Full clouds shed rain, small flower grows up strong.

Soon time does come for fragile flower bloom,
for coloring the vast expanse of fields
until poor flower fades, frail child of doom,
gives up of life, lush fruit it gently yields.

What nature speaks a skeptic finds so cruel,
denouncing God exists proves him a fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.