Friday, March 11, 2011

Sweeter With Time

I once heard (probably from a country song) that love is like a fine wine; it just gets sweeter with time. That has definitely been my experience. I can honestly say that when I got married I had no idea what true love is. I thought that the warm fuzzy feeling and giddiness I felt around my high school sweetheart was love. Although I don’t have a complete understanding as to the depth of love, after 11 years of marriage (to that same high school sweetheart) I have learned that love is more intimate and satisfying than I ever could have dreamed. There is a surety and security in love that is worth more than all the gold in Fort Knox.



When Sabrina and I were dating, our song was “Long As I Live” by John Michael Montgomery. Back then, the chorus was the part of the song that emphasized how I felt. It was that immature but zealous passion to be with her and to declare that I would love her “as long as I live”. As time marches on, the verses have solidified in my mind and heart, and I think I can truly identify that this is the kind of love I really have for my best friend. In honor of her birthday today, I wanted to share the lyrics to our song.


The world's been spinning 'round since time began

An' when it stops, it's out of my hands

So I could swear forever for all it's worth

Or give you every day I have on Earth



No matter if there's mountains you can't move

Or harder times then you thought you'd go through

And the weight of your world's too much to bear

Just remember I'll always be there



The moon and stars aren't mine to give

Neither is eternity

But I'll give you a promise tonight

That I can keep



Long as I live

Long as I breathe

With every heartbeat

I'll need you near me

I won't leave you behind

'Til the Lord says it's time to go with him

I'm yours long as I live

I'm yours long as I live

Sabrina, if you read this, I don’t know how many more birthday’s I’ll get to celebrate with you, but however many, I want you to know that I’ll love you “as long as I live”. And that’s a promise I can keep.

1 comment:

  1. You made me cry!! I love you, too, as long as I live!

    Thank you for the birthday wishes.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.